Tuesday, November 01, 2011

OS X Lion: Preserve Recovery HD (Partition)

My experience with MBA and Lion soured when I decided to migrate one MBA to the other due to an accident.

Firstly, I tried to restore using Time-Machine backup to migrate the system, however this method would not able to restore my developement environment. (no make!)

Secondly, I triggered recovery mode by pressing "command+r" keys while it's rebooting then restore from Time-Machine backup.

Everything seems went well, until I found the Recovery HD was invalidated, and I can't use File Vault and Recovery Mode as well as Find My Mac feature anymore.

I have searched web and found the only way around at this time is that follwing Varta's method (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194269?start=0&tstart=0) which involves downloading of several GBs of data from the net.

Now I'm downloading Lion from the net, another 2 hours to download only hope Varta's method works.

Anyway, lesson here is that do make HDD image backup periodically. You never know when your precious Macbook dropped to floor like me.

Steps you should take before migrating one Mac to the other Mac while preserving Recovery HD.

1. Go into recovery mode from your old Mac (Command+R)
2. Create image of your existing old Mac's HDD to external HDD
3. Go into recovery mode from your new Mac
4. Create image of your existing new Mac's HDD to external HDD (For disaster recovery purpose)
5. Restore your new Mac's HDD from old Mac's HDD image
6. Reboot the system, keep fingers crossed.

Hope Apple fix the problem soon, it is simple madness; install entire OS downloading from the net just to create Recovery HD.

Yes, IT WORKS!

No comments: